Changing Your Team From The Inside chapters end with an activity for the readers to try. The exercise suggested at the end of the first chapter, titled Be The Change, is the Best Possible Self. When you follow the last link, you can learn how to do the activity and why you should absolutely try it.
Thanks to the newsletter from the Greater Good Science Center of the University of Berkeley, I was reminded of the activity. A newsletter you may want to subscribe to. You may even want to follow their flagship course on The Science of Happiness.
When you have a more optimistic vision of the future, you are more likely to take the necessary steps to get there, which means installing new habits in your days.
Last year, in the new year post for this blog, I talked a little about willpower, bringing back the previous new year post, mentioning Kelly McGonigal’s book The Willpower Instinct. Let me do it once again. Being harsh when you miss a day or a commitment, especially when you want to take on a good habit or quit a bad one, triggers guilt, which pushes you to seek comfort. Comfort you may want to find in the very thing you are trying to stop doing. In short: be kind with others and with yourself.
Speaking of habits, maybe you want to make a new habit of listening to exciting podcast episodes? What about you start listening to Creatures of Habit, another great episode of Hidden Brain, a podcast by Shankar Vedantam.
Whatever you pick as a new habit, I wish it will serve you well, and that you will achieve your best possible self in 2022.
All the best!
PS: I would love to take some time to have a chat with you. Ping me on LinkedIn to make it happen 🙂
Le Podcast – Season Two
- The Gift of Play with Portia Tung
- Delivering Delight with Avi Liran
- Build a Product with Gojko Adzic
- Hiring and Diversity with Lucinda Duncalfe
- Leadership and Teamwork with Jeremy Brown
- Community and Leadership with Scott Amenta
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Can Software Teams learn from Sporting Teams?
- Agile and Open Innovation with Mary Provinciatto
- Radical Focus with Christina Wodtke
- Human-Centric Agility Coaching
- The Job of an Open Leader – Preethi Thomas
Le Podcast – Season One
- Grow your Software Engineering Career with Emilien
- Jason’s Thirteen Rules of a Team
- All about OKRs with Bart
- Do you want 10x Engineers?
- The Anatomy of Peace
- Psychological Safety
- When your team is distributed
- Changing Your Team with John Poelstra
- Coming to terms with terms – Michael DeLanzo
- How (not) to provide feedback – John Poelstra
- How to deal with your stars – Frank Jansen
- Do cultural differences influence the adoption of agile?
- How to create great goals?
- Celebrating the audiobook with Michael Reid
- How to form a team?