Preethi Thomas, Software Engineering Manager at Red Hat, joined for this episode of Le Podcast to give her insights about the job of an Open Leader.
Highlights of our conversation:
- The importance of Mentoring (you need a village to help you succeed!)
- Find a role at the confluence of your talent, your passion, and the organization needs (The OPT model)
- The evolution from individual contributor to manager,
- Providing context is key,
- Context and trust are roots to collaboration,
- The four-axis of a leader
- The five characteristics of an open organization (transparency, inclusivity, adaptability, collaboration, community)
- Get short wins to build up confidence
The books recommended by Preethi:
- The First 90 Days
- The Manager’s Path (I gave 5 stars on Goodreads)
- The Making of a Manager
- The Five Dysfunction of a Team I also gave 5 stars to this one, learn more in this post
The picture is by Jehyun Sung.